Configuring Windows Vista for Red River Telephone Dial-Up Internet
Setting Up your Dialup
1. Click on the Start Icon on the lower left of your screen and select Control Panel.
2. Left click on “Network and Internet” and then “Network and Sharing Center.”
3. On the left side of screen left click on “Set up a connection or Network”.
4. Choose “Set Up a Dialup Connection “ and click on “Next”.
5. Enter the dialup number which is :_________________
6. Enter your “User Name “ which is __________________
7. Enter your password which is ______________and check “remember this password.”
8. At “Connection Name” enter rrt and check “Allow other people to use this connection.”
9 Click on “Connect”. You should now be able to connect to the internet.
If you wish to use Windows Mail as your mail program to send and receive e-mail, follow the instructions below.
1. Click on the Start icon on the lower left of your screen and click on All Programs.
2. Left click on Windows Mail. When Windows Mail opens, click on “Tools” and then “Accounts”
3. Click on “Add” and at “Select Account Type” left click on “e-mail account” and then “Next”.
4. At “Display” enter your name or what you would like to be displayed when you sent a e-mail message and then click on “Next”.
5. At “E-mail Address” enter _______________and click on “Next”.
6. At “Incoming Mail Server Type” POP3 should be displayed.
7. At Incoming and Outgoing e-mail server, enter mail.rrt.net.
8. At e-mail user name you should see__________.
9. Enter your password which is _____________and click on “Next” and then “Finish”.
10. Congratulations, your computer is now ready to send and receive e-mail.
Configuring Windows XP for Red River Telephone Internet
(These instructions show you how to set up your dialer to connect to Red River Telephone Internet services and how to configure Internet Explore, which comes with Windows XP.)
Prepared for: Your name User Name: Your username
Password: Your password e-mail address: Your e-mail @rrt.net
Setting Up Your Dialer
1. Click on the Start button on the lower left corner of the task bar.
2. Click on Programs, then Accessories then Communications then New Connection Wizard..
3. Click Next on the “Welcome Page”
4. Select “Connect to Internet” if that is not already selected, then click on the Next button.
5. Choose “Set up my connection manually” if it is not selected, then click the Next button.
6. Choose “Connect using a dial-up modem” then click the Next button.
7. In the ISP Name Box enter: RRT Then click the Next button.
8. In the Phone Number box enter in the number for your exchange which is: depends on your location . Then click the Next button.
9. In the User Name section type in your user name which is: Your username
10. In the Password box type in the password you selected, which is: Your password. Type it in the Confirm box as well. Remember, passwords are case sensitive. (For example, “fido” is not the same as “Fido” or “FIDO”.) Your password should be all lower case. After you have entered this in, click on the Next button.
11. Click the circle next to “Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the Internet”
12. Click the circle next to “Make this the default Internet connection.”
13. Click the Next button, then click the Finish button.
If you wish to use Outlook Express, which comes with Windows XP, to send and receive e-mail, follow the instructions below.
Setting Up Outlook Express
1. Click on the Start button.
2. Click on “Outlook Express”
3. In the “Display Name” field, enter in what you want to use as your display name. You can use anything you want. For example, you could enter “The Smiths” or “Tom and Mary” or a nickname. Then click on the Next button.
4. In the “E-Mail” field, enter in your e-mail address Yours is: Your e-mail @rrt.net. Click on the Next button.
5. In both the “Incoming Mail” and “Outgoing Mail” server fields type in: rrt.net Then click on the Next button.
6. In the “Account Name” field enter your user name. Yours is: Account name .
7. In the “Password” field enter in your password. Yours is: - Your password If you want the program to remember it, check the “Remember Password” box. Then click Next.
8. Click Finish.
9. Congratulations, you have now set up your e-mail.
Changing your Internet Explorer Home Page to Red River Telephone (optional)
1. Click on the Start button and select “Internet Explorer”.
2. If the Dial-Up connection box appears, click Work Offline.
3. Click on the Tools menu and select “Internet Options”
4. Change the Address field to read: http://www.rrt.net, then click OK and then close the Internet Explorer.